In your other email you say...

Running command line. From within NetBeans. No fancy stuff.

Never discount the complexity of an IDE and how it forks JVMs and/or performs idiosyncratic classloading.

In any case, your test below is invalid in this context.  You claimed, in an earlier response, that you load your config manually using...

    PropertyConfigurator.configure("./src/logging/log4j.properties");

The output you see from Log4j, ending with the line...

    log4j: Could not find resource: [null].

...just means that Log4j default config lookup didn't find a Log4j config file in the root of the classpath.  That's normal if you didn't put it there.  But because you manually configure, your config is loaded, so you can ignore the above line.

The one odd thing I see is that there is a logger named "jobManager" that is configured.  I don't see that in the log4 config you posted in a previous response (see below).  Are you sure the config file that is being loaded is the one you **think** is being loaded?

I copy pasted

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, stdout

log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%c] %m%n

log4j.logger.org.apache.http=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.http.wire=ERROR

Into a file I named log4j.properties that I put into src folder a'ka
<default package>

BTW, why do you configure a properties file from a "src" folder.  Why not just copy that into some folder on the classpath and let Log4j auto-configure.  Besides, your methodology of using...

    PropertyConfigurator.configure("./src/logging/log4j.properties");

...suffers from the fact that this is a file path, relative to the directory from which the JVM started.  That is bound to change from environment to environment and, therefore, brittle.  Just stick it in the classpath and let Log4j pick it up.

Jake

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:29:51 +0200