A sandbox is typically a branch or repository that is used to "play" around
with new code. I'll probably have to share that code through bitbucket as I
don't have the privileges to commit to the repository. Or can I get
sufficient privileges to commit to a branch in the ASF repository?

Roy, didn't you say you already did some work there? Would you share it so
that we don't duplicate effort?