On 2013-08-13, d_k wrote:

> Whats wrong with rolling on logging events?

For one we have JIRA issues that say something is wrong :-)

OK, as long as your application logs frequently, there is no problem.
But if you have a policy that rolls on date boundaries and your
application tends to be idle at night you won't know when the next log
event after midnight happens - so when do you schedule backing up your
logfiles?

Rolling on events is fine as long as your policy is to roll on size but
if it is time based you might get too fuzzy for some use cases.

I'm also not sure going async is the right approach for this particular
issue (it might be worthwile to go full asnyc in all appenders but
that's a totally different story) - but I agree with the goal that
rolling on dates should be predicitve.

> Why is the disposal of log files a different strategy? Shouldn't it be
> part of the rolling process? Shouldn't the RollingStrategy.Roll method
> create and delete the needed files?

You may want to roll and dispose at different times.  Roll based on size
and dispose based on time or something like that.  It will be far easier
to implement that if both issues are divided.

Stefan