2013/8/14 Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>

> > The application runs for 3 days and thus log4net rolls the logfile 3
> > times.
>
> Well, I live in a world where all log files of an application are kept
> inside the same folder :-)

For me too, but I've seen enough to know better.

> More seriously, to me it sounds like a bit of feature creep.  I wouldn't
> consider my logging framework to be the one who's responsible for
> mailing non empty files on rolling.  That's the job of
> logrotate/logwatch or similar specialiced tools IMHO.  One could even
> argue disposal of logfiles should be out of scope.  Maybe that's just
> me.

Yes and no. The framework should at least be able to prevent filesystem
pollution by itself when told to clean up after itself. At the moment
log4net is not up to solve that task.

> Are you really sure you want to put that much non-logging logic into an
> appender?

.. not at all. But the ideas sound great and make sense, don't they? After
all we would at least clean up that configuration mess that the current RFA
has to live with. It's completely irrational at the moment. Even I have to
read up things in the FAQ to get the configuration of the RFA right after 2
unsuccessful tries.