I agree. I started doing mocking in tests, it's done for the email appender
[1]. We need to do the same for other appenders.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4php/blob/develop/src/test/php/appenders/LoggerAppenderMailTest.php

Still it would be nice to have an integration test environment where we
could actually test the messages end up in the desired destination (mongo,
mysql or a message queue).

What do you think?

Ivan