On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:28:31PM +0100, Chris Benson wrote:
> it'll-only-happen-once change where the entire country moved to
>       (XXXX) YYYY-ZZZZ

Twelve and eight digit phone numbers? So phalanxes of psychologists
noting that the human brain has the magic number seven genetically
imprinted into it should just be tossed out the window?

I still don't see what's wrong with the US system. Sure, it's filling
up but then the population is 5x the UK and I'd bet they have more
per capita business (i.e. allocated business lines) than the UK.

Anyway, the whole 'numbers' thing is long over due to be replaced by
those new fangled 'letters'. Works for DNS...

> Instead we get a numbering system consisting entirely of patches :-(

Yes, it's embarrassing. "So, why *is* your country's phone system so
utterly hosed?"

Paul