On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:16:01PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:28:31PM +0100, Chris Benson wrote:
> > The people in uk.telecom were suggesting a one-off-this-will-hurt-but-
> > it'll-only-happen-once change where the entire country moved to
> >     (XXXX) YYYY-ZZZZ
> > format,  back in the early '90s to my knowledge
>
> Would that have worked?  I thought that some of the smaller exchanges
> were still crufty and non-digital until at least the mid-nineties, and they
> wouldn't have been able to cope with the longer numbers.  It's threads

I think that was probably the "not technically feasible" reason

> like this which make me still confuse london.pm and (void).

:-)  uk.telecom was a lot like this until it drowned in whining about
OT posts, split into several groups, drowned in X-postings then went
part-moderated :-(

> Wow!  Askjeeves actually came up with a relevant link when I asked it "when
> did BT replace their last electro-mechanical exchange?".  0600 hrs, 11 Mar
> 1998 apparently, which is when Leigh-on-sea switched over from a TXE4
> to System X.  OK, TXE4 wasn't electro-mechanical, but that did signal the
> change-over to a fully digital network.

People keep recommending Askjeeves: that seems like a very good example.

--
Chris Benson