At 08:22 AM 9.4.2001 +0000, Robin Szemeti wrote:
>personally the ultimate task of any minimise/restore function should  be
>to get a window on or off the dispaly as fast as possible ... slowly
>attempting some graphical wizardry whilst chewing up CPU resources its
>not one of the things I lust after .. but YMMV :)

   Alternate genie effects [for OSX]

   The "genie effect" is what happens when you click the yellow
  "minimize" button. You'll see your window get sucked down into
  the dock, as though it were being drawn into a funnel. While
  quite cool the first few times, some people (me!) have found
  it a little annoying after a while. Those with slower machines
  may also find it something of a CPU hog.

   Luckily, Apple included a way to change the genie effect, but
  chose not to put it into a GUI tool at this time. I'm sure
  someone will have one written within a week, but for now,
  here's how you do it. Open a terminal session (the Terminal
  application is inside Applications/Utilities), and type one
  of the following:

     defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect genie
     defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck
     defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect scale

   The "genie" option is normal behavior, "suck" is sort of hard to
  describe but it's more like a reverse twisted genie, and "scale"
   (my personal favorite) simply reduces the window equally from all
  sides while dropping it to the dock. The other nice thing about
  "scale" is that it's blindingly fast (on my G4/350, while the
  genie lags a bit), so windows vanish very quickly.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010324091350279

Sounds like you want the 'scale' option.

Playing around with this defaults command seems to be just a command line interface to
corresponding xml config files, most of which seem to live in ~/Library/Preferences or
/System/Library/Preferences, and most of which seem to have a .plist suffix. I haven't
had the time to go very far with these, but it seems like you can control most of the
behavior of the GUI from these config files if you know what you're doing.

--
Chris Devers                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]