On Sun, 20 May 2001, Dave Cross wrote:

> At 17:28 19/05/2001, Jonathan Stowe wrote:

> > > I'd also like to say that I'm pretty disgusted that the Perlmongers,
> > > of all people, would advocate pirating the Camel.  Yeah, way to thank
> > > Larry!
> > >

> >I'm not entirely sure that anyone was actively advocating piracy.
>
> I disagree. IMO, posting a link to site containing pirate copies of books
> _is_ advocating piracy. YMMV.

I think that this is probably down to a difference in the way that we
apprehend the meaning of the phrase 'advocating piracy', but on reflection
I can see that it could be understood like that.

There is an increasing ambiguity in peoples attitude to 'soft crime'
these days, I would, say which ranges from Intellectual Property theft to
buying smuggled booze and fags to paying tradesmen 'Cash in Hand' to
buying Hear'Say records - because the final victim is detached from the
perpetrator by a chain of consequences it easy to do this stuff with your
conscience intact.  I'd love to blame Thatcher for it.

/J\