At 14:31 04/06/01 +0000, you wrote:
> > Assuming you're not a Masai tribesperson. And assuming that the
> > Romans weren't lying about the Celts (Though why would they want to do
> > that?)
>
>It would seem to me to be counter-productive.  If you want to conquer
>a country you don't spread rumours that they drink their victims blood.

Sure you do. That way everyone thinks they are barbarians, and they don't
mind you invading them and civilising them. As it happens the Celts were
barbarians*, and the Romans did bring civilisation to them (insert relevant
Life of Brian sketch).

You also spread rumours of there being lots of gold and "so many pearls
they lie uncollected on the beaches". Works like a charm.

*This is not a value judgement so just don't start.

--
Jonathan Peterson
Technical Manager, Unified Ltd, 020 7383 6092