On 20/06/2001 at 15:30 +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:23:27PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
>> On 20/06/2001 at 15:05 +0100, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
>> >You should probably be filtering on the Return-Path: header instead.
>> >It's the one generated from the SMTP envelope, and is a better
>>indicator
>> >of where the mail actually came from.
>>
>> Hmm. That's not a bad idea, but the List-ID: header is a
>> non-configurable [0] Mailman addition, and some people who use Procmail
>> have magic to autofilter on it.
>
>That's great until you come to a list that does things differently.  Be
>it smartlist, ezmlm, majordomo or one of the billion other crappy
>mailing list managers out there.  Thank $DEITY that more and more people
>are switching to mailman.  It ain't perfect, but it's better than most
>of the others.

Well, indeed, but then you have more automagic rules for the different
headers. Indeed our own mstevens wrote something that handles these
cases for Mail::Audit, as seen on dumrat's CPAN leaderboard:

http://search.cpan.org/doc/SIMON/Mail-Audit-1.11/Audit/List.pm

--
:: paul
:: what are the military applications?