On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:32:13PM +0000, Redvers Davies wrote:
> Sorry to send this to the list.  I tried to write privatly to a
> member of the list and their MTA hates me (sob). [0]

Well, according to someone on exim-users (who I've been in a flamewar
with - just for a change):
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20010917/030167.html

| > > I never make any exceptions for problems that are not my own.  If some
| > > sender has a broken MTA or DNS configuration then they can fix it if
| > > they want to send me e-mail.
| > This attitude unfortunately doesn't work. Which is a pity.
| I thin you need to re-read my message.  My approach to this problem
| definitely does work.  It has worked in every single instance.  There
| have been no exceptions whatsoever.  It is guaranteed to work, in fact!
| You simply have to lay down the rules and if people really want to send
| you e-mail they will fix their configurations whether they think it's
| necessary or not.  If they don't want to send you e-mail then you don't
| have to worry about it.

It doesn't *hate* you yet. The log suggests "irritated=28000ms". Hate is
when it gets to furious (around 600000ms).

> [0] BIG pet hate.  ISP's deciding what mail a customer is allowed to recieve.

My ISP doesn't. Colon does. It's my machine. Using SAUCE is the only way I'm
happy to advertise my address on the public internet.

An MX record should point to a canonical name, not a DNS alias.
| [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost -t mx- madhouse.org.uk
| madhouse.org.uk MX 20 mail.madhouse.org.uk
| [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost mail.madhouse.org.uk
| mail.madhouse.org.uk CNAME insanity.madhouse.org.uk
| insanity.madhouse.org.uk A INET 195.74.114.69

what is wrong with either:
(a)
 madhouse.org.uk          IN MX 20 mail.madhouse.org.uk
 mail.madhouse.org.uk     IN A 195.74.114.69
 insanity.madhouse.org.uk IN A 195.74.114.69

or (b)
 madhouse.org.uk          IN MX 20 insanity.madhouse.org.uk
 insanity.madhouse.org.uk IN A 195.74.114.69

Please fix it, then you'll have no problems sending me email. :-)

Your mail server will also need a reverse DNS:
| [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost -i 195.74.114.69
| 69.114.74.195.in-addr.arpa does not exist

You have nameservers (according to ripe) at ns.enta.net and ns.webstash.com
providing the zone for 114.74.195.in-addr.arpa.

(I'm sorry I'm doing this, I want some ammo that the argument presented in
 the email I have just doesn't work, mainly to satisfy myself, as I don't
 intend to carry on that flamewar... :-)

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://colondot.net/