On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 10:54:04PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:32:13PM +0000, Redvers Davies wrote:
> > Sorry to send this to the list.  I tried to write privatly to a
> > member of the list and their MTA hates me (sob). [0]
>
> Well, according to someone on exim-users (who I've been in a flamewar
> with - just for a change):
> http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20010917/030167.html

> | > This attitude unfortunately doesn't work. Which is a pity.
> | I thin you need to re-read my message.  My approach to this problem
> | definitely does work.  It has worked in every single instance.  There
> | have been no exceptions whatsoever.  It is guaranteed to work, in fact!
> | You simply have to lay down the rules and if people really want to send
> | you e-mail they will fix their configurations whether they think it's
> | necessary or not.  If they don't want to send you e-mail then you don't
> | have to worry about it.
>
> It doesn't *hate* you yet. The log suggests "irritated=28000ms". Hate is
> when it gets to furious (around 600000ms).
>
> > [0] BIG pet hate.  ISP's deciding what mail a customer is allowed to recieve.
>
> My ISP doesn't. Colon does. It's my machine. Using SAUCE is the only way I'm
> happy to advertise my address on the public internet.
>
> An MX record should point to a canonical name, not a DNS alias.
> | [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost -t mx- madhouse.org.uk
> | madhouse.org.uk MX 20 mail.madhouse.org.uk
> | [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost mail.madhouse.org.uk
> | mail.madhouse.org.uk CNAME insanity.madhouse.org.uk
> | insanity.madhouse.org.uk A INET 195.74.114.69
>
> what is wrong with either:
> (a)
>  madhouse.org.uk          IN MX 20 mail.madhouse.org.uk
>  mail.madhouse.org.uk     IN A 195.74.114.69
>  insanity.madhouse.org.uk IN A 195.74.114.69
>
> or (b)
>  madhouse.org.uk          IN MX 20 insanity.madhouse.org.uk
>  insanity.madhouse.org.uk IN A 195.74.114.69
>
> Please fix it, then you'll have no problems sending me email. :-)
>
> Your mail server will also need a reverse DNS:
> | [mbm@colon]:~$ adnshost -i 195.74.114.69
> | 69.114.74.195.in-addr.arpa does not exist
>
> You have nameservers (according to ripe) at ns.enta.net and ns.webstash.com
> providing the zone for 114.74.195.in-addr.arpa.
>
> (I'm sorry I'm doing this, I want some ammo that the argument presented in
>  the email I have just doesn't work, mainly to satisfy myself, as I don't
>  intend to carry on that flamewar... :-)

Ah, well this would explain why mail I sent you last week bounced too.

I have exactly the opposite view to the person on the Exim list. If I
send someone mail and for some reason their MTA is configured to believe
that my mail isn't worth receiving then that's _their_ problem.

And IIRC, the message I got back wsn't exactly enlightening.

Dave...

--

  Don't dream it... be it