On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:31:52PM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:
> Marty pontificated about:
> > Marty (pedantic) Pauley <(his)perl(mailbox)@(his domain called)kasei(under
>the).com(tld)>
> Well, if we're going to be pedantic, don't you need a "." after the com in
> order to really mean it's a tld.

Only in the zone. An email address does not have to contain a terminating
'.' in the domain part, and it may even be wrong for it to...

It's certainly wrong to have
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
because of the word restriction on the local-part.

> One day I'm going to install a host called 'com' or 'org' and watch the
> fallout.

You'll have to make sure that your mail server qualifies names automatically
(against RFC2821, except in the explicit case of RCPT TO:<postmaster>).

and install subdomains of that host...

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           http://colondot.net/