On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:43:17PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an old £10 note that I got from my grandmother several years
> ago and kept off using, and now my bank won't change it for me any more
> :( IIRC, it's slightly larger than corrent £10 notes. It's got Florence
> Nightingale on the back.

Ah. real money. (At least of people of my age. Someone's bound to prefer
something older). And nice diplomatic £5 notes.

> I presume that old bank notes can be changed in England for new ones,
> possibly at any bank or, as a last resort, in some central bank (BoE,
> perhaps?).

Not sure if you could actually get away with spending them still here.
[I have this feeling that they're not legal tender, in that shops etc
are allowed to refuse them]
Certainly I'm told that the Bank of England's "I promise to pay the bearer
on demand the sum of £10" is good forever.

> If this is so, would someone be willing to change this bank note into a
> new £10 note for me that I can either exchange for DEM or EUR or use in
> a future trip to the UK? If so, contact me off-list and I'll send it to
> them by postal mail, if that's acceptable (or if one of you will be
> around Hamburg in the near future, they could pick it up).

I expect that you can probably do it over the counter at a UK bank without
having an account there if you come to visit.

I wouldn't trust a £10 note to remain in the envelope if sent through the
post. But maybe I worry too much.

Nicholas Clark