On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> Much as I love my 6x13 font in an xterm, I'm rapidly coming to the
> conclusion that anti-aliased fonts are the way to go for more
> comfortable webbing and word processing.

Well, duh... :)

> Any opinions about this?

Yes. Welcome to the 21st century, we haven't been waiting for you :)

> Do I have to go KDE?

Can any of the X-Windows based systems do it well these days? It's been a
while since I used any of them much; last time I was using KDE regularly
(1998 or 1999, version 1.something I guess) it didn't make much of an
impression on me, other than "better than CDE but that's not saying much".
Now that I've spent the last month using CDE (or, ugh, OpenWindows), I
just feel that a bit more strongly.

My current favorite Unix gui, if it counts, is OSX/Aqua -- it's slow, but
it's pretty and it's consistent, so it'll be fine for now. Next time I get
a chance to assemble an x86 box, I'll give Linux or BSD a try again. I
know it's flamewar material, but which of Gnome or KDE has made the most
progress over the past few years, with regard to things like antialiasing,
user interface consistency, available applications, etc? I still can't
help but think that the main strength of X-Windows based systems is [a]
virtual desktops (which I still can't believe hasn't been ripped off by
Mac or Windows) and [b] better network transparency (remote login etc).
Otherwise, they all seem to be ugly, quirky beasts...

--
Chris Devers

"People with machines that think, will in times of crisis,
make up stuff and attribute it to me" - "Nikla-nostra-debo"