On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:12:20PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> > It also needs an squiggle-tab mechanism for switching between windows of the
> > same app - I want to cycle between all my Terminals and my Omniweb windows
>
> At least with Terminal you have Command-1, 2, ... which, if you can
> remember which is which isn't so bad.

But Terminal also obeys the CMD~ trick, so the numbered ones are mainly
useful if you want to jump directly to a particular window and you have
too many open to just hit CMD~~~ for example.

> > I get the opposite.  Both of my 600MHz Apples with oodles of RAM feel
> > slower than this 'ere P3-600 with 192Mb, running Linux 2.4.16, XFree
> > 3.3.6 and Gnome.
>
> Who knows -- perhaps this is some function of the architecture on the
> titanium power book -- it was blindingly quicker than my 500MHz/100(66?)
> Cube, for reasons I can't yet fathom.

Anecdotally, I understand that over on the Windows side of things, Win2k
wanted a lot more horsepower than WinNT, but provided that you could give
it what it wanted, it used the resources better. Apparently the same very
fast machine would be more responsive after an upgrade to Win2k. Maybe the
same sort of thing is going on now -- iMacs & such are just never going to
be able to run it well, but the newer machines will be fine.

'course that doesn't help me any, especially as Apple supposedly won't be
releasing 10.2 until next summer... :(

*shrug*

--
Chris Devers

"People with machines that think, will in times of crisis,
make up stuff and attribute it to me" - "Nikla-nostra-debo"