And another newbie delurks.

hello

Enough mac users round here aren't there?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:08:35PM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:12:20PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> > It also needs an squiggle-tab mechanism for switching between windows of the
> > same app - I want to cycle between all my Terminals and my Omniweb windows
>
> At least with Terminal you have Command-1, 2, ... which, if you can
> remember which is which isn't so bad.

It's not really consistent enough (yet). It's got a lot better with
10.1 and the 'full kb access' options but I'd love to see to a
consistent way to navigate a) between apps b) between windows of apps.

> > > Aqua OS X 10.1 is really fast on newer Macs. A friend's titanium
> > > 667MHz/133 powerbook feels noticeably snappier than my Athlon 1GHz.
> > > OS X is faster on those machines than OS 9.
> >
> > I get the opposite.  Both of my 600MHz Apples with oodles of RAM feel slower
> > than this 'ere P3-600 with 192Mb, running Linux 2.4.16, XFree 3.3.6 and
> > Gnome.

Those are G3s? Aqua is supposedly heavily optimised for G4/Altivec.

> Who knows -- perhaps this is some function of the architecture on the
> titanium power book -- it was blindingly quicker than my 500MHz/100(66?)
> Cube, for reasons I can't yet fathom.

The new powerbooks have the faster bus (says the perons who's got a G4
500 powerbook and a bad lust for a 667) and a far, far faster graphics
card. I don't see a lot of difference between my 450 cube and my 500
powerbook - but the cube has triple the RAM of the powerbook so...

I suspect the radeon in the 667 made all the difference :)

And on a vaguely related perl related topic... has anyone upgraded Perl
on OS X? I want to do it but I've blown up os X too many times recently
and want to know someone else  has made it work first.

nic