I just thought that I'd give a followup in case anyone is interested.

(if not - you get it anyway!)

I bought a Netgear MR314 Router.  Reviews seemed to say it had a few
limitations compared to other boxes, but they seem to cost a lot more.
At 125 GBP (+VAT) I'll accept limitations.  Now comes the real work as I
try to get all the systems to talk to each other.

Eventually I'd like to see if there are other 802.11b users in the High
Wycombe/Hazlemere area to look at how well a community net could work in
a hilly area.

Also, I found that Smoothwall has forked to a project called IPCop.
IPCop seems to actively promote the GPL side, so it'll be interesting to
see which project moves forward better.  I'm trying IPCop at the moment.

Thanks for all the help,
Richard