On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:20:22AM -0000, Clayton, Nik [IT] wrote:
>So I'm writing some (hopefully) fairly useful Perl modules at $dayjob, and
>want to release them to the outside world.  I suspect this is going to be
>a novelty to the corporate lawyers.
>
>Has anyone here had experience of doing this sort of thing at large
>companies,
>and making the arguments for open source'ing your code?  Any war stories, or
>tips you can pass on?

My tack has usually been to get it nailed down before I start coding.
But if you haven't, the best arguments I've met are:

- there's nothing proprietary to the business in this code;
- nor does it give away any business secrets;
- therefore having it available doesn't help the competition.
- even if the competition decided to use it, you'd still have the
  original author available;
- if it's open-sourced, other people will help improve it while I work
  on stuff that _is_ specific to the business

Saying "it'll get a good reputation with the open source community" is
usually not helpful. Go for the greed...