* Simon Wistow ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > Red Dwarf
>
> But it's actually a biblical quote (specifically Mark chapter 5, vs 9)
>
> "And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is
> Legion: for we are many."

Its a concept that appears repeatedly in sci-fi/horror, unsurprisingly
it makes an apperance in one of the exorcist films (unsurprisingly as
the biblical story is about an exorcism, i'd look up a quote to
support this but using that site is a swine ;-)). Surprisingly i can't
think of any BtVS that makes use of it, however Being John Malkovich
is similar although thats probably by coincidence. Also I'm sure i've
read a 2000AD prog that used it. Needless to say that a lot of the
horror films that use it can't help but use the quote.

On the subject of the exorcist movies, I thoroughly recommend the
book, the exorcist, its a very enjoyable well written book. As far as
the films go, the 1st and 3rd are good, but the 2nd is apalling and
looks so so dated nowadays. Although neither make my top ten all time
films.

Greg

p.s. my current top ten film list looks like ....

#1 It's a Wonderful Life, #2 Cool Hand Luke, #3 Withnail and I,
#4 The Great Escape, #5 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,
#6 Star Wars, #7 The Sting, #8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest,
#9 Mallrats, #10 Spartacus

sorry (i already had it in a file after a recent IRC discussion)

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/
                                   jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]