On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 06:58:47PM +0100, Tony Bowden said:
> As browser-based applications become more realistic, this means that
> someone like DigiGuide can stop splitting their development effort and
> work on one interface, which can either be run off their server, using
> their copy of the data, or of your own desktop server, with your
> downloaded copy of the data.

I recently bought up on another list this link ...

"Removing the Ws from URLs"
http://webword.com/moving/wwwremoval.html

which is basically saying "the web is all that you'll ever access on the
Net so just get rid of the www's"

At first I actually couldn't think of a response but this thread's made
me tie it in with some other ideas I've had.

I've recently been rolling yet another home brew CMS and I remembered
how much I hate doing CGI stuff even with all the advances since I last
did it - there are application frameworks and templating systems and ...
and ... it still sucks. As a way of doing applications http and CGI suck
ass. As well they should, they were never designed to do such a thing.
And as a GUI html sucks as well. Same reason.

And for that reason (and it's not exactly a huge leap of intuition) the
web and http will die. To be replaced by something that lets you write
proper applications with all the same ease of layout as HTML but with
proper layout and and proper app front end that will take care of all
all the nasty parsing of form elements and variable handling and stuff.

That way applications will automatically work on either on the desktop
or as a 'web' based app through a browser. Or something. Either that or
someone will invent a language that will do everything transparently and
automagically but still through http and html.

I know there's stuff out there that's supposed to be doing this already
but it all sucks still.

--
: it's not the heat, it's the humanity