On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:53:06PM +0100, Leon Brocard wrote:
> Tony Bowden sent the following bits through the ether:
> > He did a keynote at the O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference last
> > week, based roughly on the book.
>
> Did you go?

Yes.

> Was it an interesting conference?

Yes.

> Is p2p the future?

No. It's the present :)

My personal take is that we'll start seeing more and more web-based
applications move, at least partially, to the desktop, co-ordinating
initially with centralised servers, but then gradually moving to a purer
'P2P' type set-up.

As an example, think of a web-based corporate 'address book' application.
Currently anyone looking up an address would load a page of a central web
server. But it's relatively simple to have that move to each employee's PC
(which may well be more powerful than the server), at least for querying
- but still as a web-based application. For updates, for now it would
probably still submit to a central database, which would then get sent
out to the individual PCs. But it wouldn't be too difficult to have
this percolate in a P2P manner, removing the need for the centralised
server altogether.

There's obviously a lot of problems in making something like this really
work in a large organisation, but they're mostly not 'pure' technology
issues at this point.

I think that most of this stuff will follow the maxim that people
are massively over-estimating the short-term effects, but massively
under-estimating the long-term effects.

> I looked at some of the presentations and they seemed quite
> interesting:
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/18/presentations.html

There were a lot of interesting presentations. I've only just got back,
as I was in Boston afterwards, so I haven't gotten around to writing
them up yet, but as I do they'll appear on my weblog:
 http://www.tmtm.com/insanity

Tony