* Tony Bowden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:39:53PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> > It sounds like the model you're proposing is centralised-with-caching,
> > rather than p2p.
>
> In the short/medium term, absolutely. AS I said in the original:
>   My personal take is that we'll start seeing more and more web-based
>   applications move, at least partially, to the desktop, co-ordinating
>   initially with centralised servers, but then gradually moving to a purer
>   'P2P' type set-up.
>
> For most things, I see this happening as an intermediate stage. Most
> desktop machines spend most of their time (even when being used) doing
> next to nothing. Organisations have a huge amount of potential
> processing power on the desktop, but aren't using it.

What do they need this power for? I agree its a shame that its not
being used, but what is the average company going to do with it?
Sorry If I'm being thick, but I just can't think of anything that an
average company (i'm ignoring scientific companies and major financial
organisations) can parallelise efficiently across lots of PCs.

> More and more work will be pushed back to the desktop. This was
> the trend in computing for a long time. Until the web explosion pushed
> everything back to a client/server model again.

Hmm, I'm not sure the web is what I'd traditionally think of as a C/S
model, ymmv.

> Even your average commercial web site doesn't take full advantage yet of
> the power in most of the recent browsers, that would allow so much more
> to be achieved on the client before needing to send another request back
> to the server. As people start discovering what can be done with this, I
> think we'll start to see quite a major reduction in the number of
> round-trip requests needed to achieve many web-based tasks. Which is
> good for everyone (except maybe the bandwidth companies!). Less load on
> the server is good. Less waiting on the part of the user.

Are you thinking about something like a supermarket site sending lots
of product information in one go and then letting the customer browse
using Javascript on their local machine?

> > Isn't this all just adding latency to the client->server model without
> > really taking away any centralisation or adding any benefits?

Never underestimate the power of taking some old technology and adding
a liberal dose of pseudo technical marketting bullshit and this isn't
a bad thing in my book.

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/