    >> But, it's not.  That's a potentially huge amount of data; people
    >> aren't going to want to transfer that data to every machine they
    >> might want to use, they're going to want a nice, central,
    >> authoritative LDAP server to talk to.

    Tony> They don't have to transfer it to every machine. Their
    Tony> sys-admin can have the initial version set up on their
    Tony> machine. If they need to use a machine that doesn't have it
    Tony> installed, then it can ask the server - or any of the many
    Tony> desktop servers that now exist. And, it could locally cache
    Tony> all the information that it retrieves, so that it gradually
    Tony> builds up the information that it needs.

It sounds like the model you're proposing is centralised-with-caching,
rather than p2p.  Also, who keeps track of whether the data is up to
date?  If my client machine is asking one of the new desktop servers for
a contact record, does the desktop server then go back and check hashes
against the main server?  Does it return old information?  Isn't this
all just adding latency to the client->server model without really
taking away any centralisation or adding any benefits?

Etc.  :-)

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a