The key issue here is *opt in*. Here is a well written site about
permission based marketing:
http://www.messagemedia.com/rc/ten_guides.shtml

Highly recommended is the "non solutions" page by CAUCE,
http://www.cauce.org/about/nonsolutions.shtml

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:02:35PM +0100, Barbie wrote:
> Personally I think you're being a bit harsh. How are Manning to find
> credible reviews for their technical books.

If Manning cared so much about reviews they presumably would put
something on their website (I don't see it) offering people the
opportunity to sign-up review their books.

If they want credibility then when an author reviews a book they can ask
for it! ("I run $this site, I wrote $that module, etc")

> mailing list going I suppose, but that would take time and they wouldn't
> necessarily reach the people they wanted too. They have targeted a credible
> publically available list and are offering effectively a free book in return
> for a review.

Just because it's public doesn't mean it can be used for spamming! It's
the standard leaving the front door open argument.

The point at which you start saying "oh well, it's OK to this or that
even though it is basically spamming" is the thin end of the wedge.
Imagine if this what you think is acceptable was done by every
commercial company who had a product you could conceivably be
interested in.

> To my mind spam is when a blanket mail is sent to several thousand
> addresses, the majority of which have no interest in the product or service,
> and the senders of which are also likely to disguise their origins in the
> email header.

I agree that on a scale of evilness it probably isn't up there with the
worst practices, and I'm not really beating on Manning any more than
anyone else that sends unsolicited commercial email. And, as you point
out (and I previously acknowledged) Manning have plenty of other graces.

It does bother me that Manning is a respectable company setting, IMO, a
bad example.

> Manning have targeted their audience,

At the end of the day, they used an email address without permission.
It's really just that simple. Unless I asked for it, don't send
sales pitches.

> and I'm sure are would
> be quite happy to remove you from any list they have created for mailshots,
> should you click reply.

This is a "non solution" as explained here
http://www.cauce.org/about/nonsolutions.shtml

Do you expect to spend the rest of your life unsubscribing? Do you then
subsequently trust a company who has already a history of abusing that
trust to then not sell your address elsewhere?

It is much easier for me to blacklist their mailservers and save
$large_number of other users here being hassled by them & their ilk too.

Anyway, I'll keep quiet now :-)

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If there is a will, then I shall drink till I sleep."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/