"Peter Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, anyone got any suggestions, ideas, or links that I could use? If you've
> been working on your own VMs or VM like system, I'd be interested in knowing
> about it. I've done the usual Google research, but other than JVM stuff,
> there's not much about VMs.. and I'm not keen on the JVM stack-based
> approach.

It might be worth taking a look at kaffe -- a GPL clean room JVM with
classes.  Development seems to have been a bit slow of late but there
has been a recent release.

http://www.kaffe.org/

I don't know how useable it is as a dropin JVM but it does seem to
have been used as the basis for other OSS and research projects such
as JITs etc.

--
Steve Mynott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>