David Cantrell said:

> > I've been told that before, but I've never understood why.
> > On the rare occasions when I generate invoices, I ensure uniqueness by
> making
> > the invoice number something like YYYYMMDDN.

It isn't a legal or technical reason, more of a confidence boosting reason.

It is mostly so that they are traceable. Accountants will say use a
contiguous sequence of numbers so that they know that they haven't missed
any, and also so that they can show to the government that they haven't
missed any.

Alex

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London.
Software For Complex Websites http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Open Source Software Companies please register here
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/oss_support/