On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:50:07PM +0100, Alex McLintock wrote:
> I remember seeking moral support from the London.pm mailing list when
> upgrading OpenSSL to the latest safe version.... Thanks People.

Anything above 0.9.6e should be safe, though it's possible that there are
things that we missed.

> but it looks like some people weren't so lucky.

The problem is that people who don't upgrade give everyone else a headache.

I'm firmly supportive of the idea that someone who lets their box get
r00ted is not competent to have root access themselves. Of course, I'm not
necessarily advocating blithely reading bugtraq and upgrading on every
single patch. It's worth reviewing what you're running, and reviewing what
changes the patch makes (and whether you believe they will help). In the
case of OpenSSL 0.9.6e, there are some assertions called at the point where
it is possible that bits of your stack have been overwritten (with
additional checks to try and stop this happening). My original view on this
was that this patch was almost worse than the cure, but after a large
flamewar with my boss (who wrote the patches), then I'm more inclined to
agree with him (at first glance it looked like his typical laziness).

> SLAPPER GIVES LINUX COMMUNITY A DOSE OF SOMETHING CONTAGIOUS
> http://www.silicon.com/a55550
> (Their capitals)
> It essentially is a worm which exploits an OpenSSL weakness on Apache
> servers. But of course no one here is running the older version of OpenSSL
> are they :-)

Of course, just because there's one exploit for apache doesn't mean that
people won't be trying similar sorts of exploits for other vulnerable
services. In general, I think you can workaround the server problems by
only allowing SSLv3 (and TLSv1, which is a modified SSLv3), but you
shouldn't take my word on this. There was also an attack against a client
buffer in an SSLv3 "session".

So, my advice, read bugtraq, read the arguments, preferably read the code,
make your own judgement on what to do...

--
Lusercop.net - LARTing Lusers everywhere since 2002