On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:21:01PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:03:49PM +0100, Lusercop said:
> > I'm firmly supportive of the idea that someone who lets their box get
> > r00ted is not competent to have root access themselves.
> In the case of it happening *after* the bugtraq post about the
> particular hole maybe yes but if you were hacked before the hole was
> public?

And how long after bugtraq is told?  I certainly don't check bugtraq every
hour, or even every day.  I usually check it once a week, cos I consider
that to be a reasonable compromise between safety and my time.  Of course,
you should read bugtraq reports carefully - often, holes depend both on the
software version and on the details of the configuration.  If your
configuration isn't affected, there's no pressing requirement to upgrade.

--
David Cantrell | Member of the Brute Squad | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

     Gehyrst þu, sælida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
     Hi willað eow to gafole garas syllan,
     ættrynne ord and ealde swurd,
     þa heregeatu þe eow æt hilde ne deah.
                -- Brithnoth