David Cantrell wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 10:27:09AM +0100, Robert Shiels wrote:
>
>>I've just about decided to go for ADSL, and Nildram have been recommended
>>here, so I go to this page:
>>
>>https://www.getadsl.co.uk/services_home.htm
>>
>>and now I'm not really sure what I want. I think the cheapest option will
>>probably be fine, but maybe I want a static IP address, I'm not sure. I
>>don't need web space. Maybe I should be looking at their secure service
>>instead!
>

> A static IP is a very useful thing.  Even if you don't have one right now
> with whatever you use to connect at the moment, once you have one you'll
> find all sorts of wonderful things to do with it.

I have plus.net ADSL and I get a static IP for about £23 a month:

http://www.plus.net/info2/residential/res_broadband.html

I would definatly recommend a static IP.  I a colleague at work who has ADSL
with zen (http://www.zen.co.uk) and he claims to have 8 IP's.

>>I WILL be running this on a Windows PC [1], I will be playing Unreal
>>Tournament and downloading MP3 files mostly, and I'd quite like to be able
>>to access my home PC remotely to retrieve files when I'm at work.
>
> Please tell me you won't be turning SMB on or using IIS!  In any case, if
> you want remote access, a static IP is a must.  Yeah yeah, I know about
> dyndns and stuff, but a static IP is soooo much better.
>
>>And of
>>course fast surfing. I have 3 or 4 other PCs in my house with wireless cards
>>in them from which I'd like to be able to access the internet through the
>>ADSL connection too.
>>
>>Can I do all this for the £22.99 a month, and what hardware will I need to
>>buy.
>
> If this is the "wires only" thing, then you'll need a splitter/faceplate for
> the phone line (which I think BT will supply), and a router.  I expect
> Nildram can supply that, or recommend a supplier.  If you decide to shop
> around to get a good deal, don't forget that all UK DSL uses PPPoA.
>
> Oh, and it seems that DSL routers are built down to a chosen cost, not up
> to a desired quality.  That's one reason I like hiring my router - it means
> that when it fails (I've killed two so far) BT replace it for free.

I went for an Alcatel SpeedTouch USB (the frog) because it was second hand and
really cheap.  If I had had to pay full price I would have gone for one of those
router things.  I got two DSL splitters from dslsource:

http://dslsource.co.uk/

for about £11 each.

>>[1] this is a definite, so please don't tell me I should be running Linux, I
>>already know :-)
>
> There's nowt wrong with using a Windows desktop.  However, with a DSL
> connection, you will be connected permanently, and the script kiddies *will*
> find you.  At least consider using a twenty quid piece of shit running a BSD
> or Linux as a firewall and NAT box.

I got a free pentium (75 I think) and it is running IPcop (http://www.ipcop.org)
quite happily.  I am running 4 PC's behind this including 2 desktops (1 win, 1
Linux) and a couple of webservers.  It is pretty simple for a firewall but does
just about all you could ask for a simple network.

Another site you might want to check out is http://www.adslguide.org.uk for
reviews and information about service providers.

Will