Quoting Randal L. Schwartz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> GDBM_File cannot be installed "after the fact".

Ofcourse it can be. Granted you probably never want to do this, but you
can just remove -lgbdm (and -ldb etc.) from the libraries to be linked
against during the perl build. Or in the MacOS X case this is done
automatically for you, since there is no gdbm according to your mails.
Then you don't get GDBM_File.pm.

We do this all the time, since otherwise we end up with a perl that is
linked against libdb.so (which on RH linux libgdbm.so points to, argh),
which prevents Perl to work with Sybase, since it's library also has a
dbopen() function call. This is rectified in 5.8 if I am not mistaken.

Solution is easy, just go into the ext/GDBM_File dir, and run the usual
steps there, perl Makefile.PL, make, etc. Shiny new GDBM_File appears.

Regards,
--
Merijn Broeren | She doesn't want you to understand her. She knows that's
Software Geek  | impossible. She just wants you to understand yourself,