I got broadband working yesterday in my new gaff and I'm so chuffed I'm
going to put my money where my bandwidth is and write a FAQ for the l.pm
website about it. Comments/Patches appreciated.

Q: I want to get boradband put in a t home. Do you have any
recommendations?

A: You basically have two choices - (A)DSL and Cable. We'll deal with
cable later.

First you need to pick a provider. Many people seem happy with Nildram
(http://www.nildram.co.uk) who, whilst they may be slightly more
expensive than some provide excellent technical support. A static IP
will cost you a bit more.

Also recommended is  Andrews and Arnold (http://aaisp.net.uk) who give
static IPS on all products and even /24 networks, will SMS you when the
service goes down and send invoices in text and PDF all PGP signed.

Other options can be found at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Once you've picked a provider and a service (including whether or not
you want a static ip which will allow you to contact your firewall
remotely without using DynDNS) then you have to decide whther or not you
want managed or wires only.

Managed services come with (usually a cheap USB) modem and cost a little
per month. The advantages are that if the modem breaks then you get a
replacement plus they set everything up for you. The disadvantages are
that the modems tend to be crappy and it will end up costing more in the
long run.

The alternative is to get a wires only option. This will turn on the
service for you but you'll have buy your own DSL modem. Many people
recommend the D-Link 504 which is a combination router with 4 port
switch and comprehensive web, shell (through serial access) and
application (windows only) configuration. It's a good balance between
features and cost and can be picked up for about 90 quid from Dabs, Scan
and Amazon.co.uk (where I got mine from).

It shoudl be noted that the phone line that the DSL modem is plugged
into will need a microfilter. This looks like a telephone splitter and
protects your normal PTSN phone (and Sky Box or Tivio or whatever is
plugged into the phone line). You shoudl get one with your service but
they're available for about 7 pounds from Scan or about 15 pounds from
shops on Tottenham Court Road,

An alternative to DSL is the much cheaper cable services like
Blueyonder (http://info.blueyonder.co.uk/publish/index.html). These
often come as part of a telvision of phoen package from the same company
and represent very good value. Allegedgly they are faster (on paper)
than DSL although anecdotal evidence suggests other wise. These are
almost always managed services.

Once you've selected your broadband provider you'll want to connect the
rest of your computers up (you do have more than one, don't you?).

Whilst you can just plug everythign straight into the modem this could
be considered harmful even if the modem does have firewalling
capabilities. For about 30 pound you can build yourself a computer
capable of running a firewall (go for the lowest spec possible, you
don't even need a harddrive if you can boot from a CDRom or a floppy).
Then run something like IPCop (http://ipcop.org/) or Smoothwall
(http://www.smoothwall.org). Set up your network something like this.

          internet

        modem/router

       ----------------
      |  Firewall box  |--- (ORANGE ZONE)
       ----------------

        (GREEN ZONE)

          [ hub ]
          /  |  \
         /   |   \
        YOUR PUTERS

Everything in the Green zone will be able to see each other. Anything in
the ORange zone will be able to see each other but won't be able to see
anything in the Green Zone. If you have an Airport or other wireless hub
then you probably want to connect it to the Orange Zone. This means that
people leaching your bandwith cannot h4XX0r the machine in the Green
zone which will probably be wide open because of SMB or whatever.

If you want all your computers to be using Wireless (which is what I do
since I don't want to run cables upstairs) then stick the Airport in the
Green Zone but configure it only to allow connections from specified MAC
addresses. This isn't perfect but should be a satisfactory balance
between security and convenience.

--
: feel the banana karma