On Wednesday, November 06, 2002 10:04 AM, Billy Abbott
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Adam Turoff wrote:
>
> > Early versions of unix supported monocased terminals.  I remember a
> > professor telling me that if you logged in and your username was
> > allcaps, the tty would go into a compatability mode AND DISPLAY
> > EVERYTHING IN UPPERCASE, EXCEPT FOR CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE \A AND \B
> > WHICH WOULD APPEAR WITH A PRECEDING BACKSLASH.
>
> VMS isn;t quite that nasty (although it fills my days with a constant
> nagging pain), but it has no idea of case, does most everythign in caps,
> and ignores illegal characters typed in passwords without giving you a
> warning, as well as ignoring case in passwords...

VMS++
I &heart; VMS

It also uppercases the echoing of characters, when the application program
wants uppercase data. Nice.

You do get some interesting effects when VMS connects to an NFS mount on a Unix
box. IIRC they use $ signs in the filespec to indicate a case override (such as
an upper case character on the Unix side).

> it does have built in file versioning and an advanced beard growing plugin
> though...

Some Unixes , AIX I believe, have file versioning that can be enabled as a
feature. But this is usually turned off for compatibility. I remember what it
was like to have many versions of a file - What did it look like before I
started fiddling with it ;-), Let's see if we can track the last version that
worked. Lazy practices admittedly, but it saved me needing to go back to backup
on many occasion.

I also remember that VMS files have more date/times on them than on Unix -
Created date, Modified date, Date last backed up.

</reminiscence>