On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:43:32PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
>
> > Put another way, Oracle skills may be more marketable, but paying for the
> > right licenses & hardware to learn Oracle may be unfeasible for most.
>
> They used to do a free hobbyist/evaluation licence.  Probably still do.

I'm sure this is still true, but the hardware is relevant as well.

I've put copies of Pg on pretty old equipment & it ran tolerably well --
good enough to put sample databases in, write code against it, etc.

I've tried putting the demo version of Oracle on somewhat better hardware
(sorry, it's been a while & I forget all specs) and, aside from the fact
that setting everything up was much more of a pain, the strain on the
machine was much more noticeable than when running Pg, subjectively
speaking, to the extent that I never bothered using it much.

Then again, working past that ramp-up may be the whole point...

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Q:      What is orange and goes "click, click?"
A:      A ball point carrot.