On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 06:49:52PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> I've tried putting the demo version of Oracle on somewhat better hardware
> (sorry, it's been a while & I forget all specs) and, aside from the fact
> that setting everything up was much more of a pain, the strain on the
> machine was much more noticeable than when running Pg, subjectively
> speaking, to the extent that I never bothered using it much.

You really do have to throw one honkin' chunk o' RAM at it. Not to
mention disk space for the install; 9i is over a gig download. Further,
Oracle is extremely tunable, one of its strengths (or weaknesses
depending how much reading you like to do). You can diddle with about
every conceivable parameter some of which in some circumstances can make
a dramatic difference. Its connection cost is quite high but the client
caching is pretty good (from what I've read).

Of course, the conspiracy theorists would claim this is to keep DBA &
consultants in business...

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is pauls last name? A yearning deep inside your soul."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/