On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 09:46, Paul Mison wrote:
> On 26/11/2002 at 00:44 +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
>
> >As a matter of interest, having just become a #london.pm virgin this
> >evening, why is [nearly] everybody op'd?
>
> So we can set the topic, mainly. And as mutually asssured destruction
> if anyone goes nuts.
>
> >Is the fact that a newbie isn't
> >an op part of the problem? What is going on here?
>
> We need to find out who you are. If you'd said 'Hello, I'm Dirk, I've
> been active on list' you're more likely to be opped than if you
> appear and start asking about k-lines. (People online on the morning
> of Tuesday 4th June, when someone connected to rhizomatic and
> unleashed a flood of clonebots, may remember what's wrong with that
> one.) [0]

K-lines? Moi?

> Once the channel is convinced you are who you say you are, and that
> you're not going to go mad, you'll get ops on a per-session basis or,
> once you're fully trusted, via the opbot(s).
>
> This should probably be worked into
> http://london.pm.org/about/irc.html along with a warning that we're a
> bit... less tolerant, perhaps, as a rule, on the IRC channel.

Umm... yes, I think that would be an excellent idea. It might save some
confusion (as well as unnecessary heat) on here if the ground rules were
spelled out.

> [0] As a side note, assuming we'll read your real name out of /whois
>      probably isn't enough. You may as well do the introduction too.

Assuming I am actually bothered, which I am probably not. There are one
or two people that I know (and who know me, viz: Mr Wetters and Ginger
Dave) and that's about it.

Op me if you like or not... it's cool, whatever... I am not sufficiently
into IRC to really care one way or the other. I use it purely to
communicate and keep up to date with the latest gossip.

I was just interested, that's all...

Dirk
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to