From: David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 1/8/03 9:18:40 AM

>On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:38:28AM +0000, Marna Gilligan wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Dave Cross wrote:
>> > So it seems that the problem is not with the DVDs I
>> > buy, but with my PS2's ability to play slightly
>> > sub-standard discs.
>>
>> We use the PS2 as a games thingumie and MP3 server/ new
>> Buffums watching machine so I've not actually tried it as
>> a DVD player much. WE already had one.
>
> I use my PS2 as a DVD player, and haven't had any problems
> at all.  The OP said he'd had problems with a Buffy disk,
> but I've got all of 'em and they all work fine.  So do
> other recent disks like the LotR:FotR extended version.

The problem seems to be with mass-produced DVDs that I buy close
to release (when you'd expect quality to be low). The specific
disk I had problems with was disk one of Buffy season 2. I've
also recently had problems with Minority Report. The PS2 can't
read the data for much of the second half of the film.

> I know that there have been PS2 firmware updates
> specifically to address issues with DVD playback, so maybe
> you have an older machine with the old firmware.  I
> believe you can get update disks from Sony.

Aha. This is the kind of information that I was looking for.
I'll investigate further.

Thanks,

Dave...

--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)