On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jody Belka wrote:

> Simon Wistow said:
> > Quick question - recently, whilst trying to watch a DVD on a laptop (a
> > lateish model Vaio) on the TV via composite out (little yellow headphone
> > jack sized female socket?) we'd get a sharp picture of the desktop but a
> > black rectangle where the DVD was playing. This was in Windows media
> > Player and some proprietary DVD app so I presume it was a codec issue.
> >
> > I saw mention of 'overlay' or something but turning off various options
> > to do with that gave no joy.
>
> ok, quick explanation of video hardware and full-motion video. since i'm
> lazy, some of this is just copy and pasted in :)

<snip>

> now how you actually set which display is primary and which clone is
> dependent on your what graphics card/chipset you have so i'm afraid i
> can't help there.

<delurk>

It's Fn-F8 on my Vaio laptop (FX804), and it plays DVDs a treat (using
WinDVD which was bundled with the machine). I'm not aware of any primary/n-ary
display issue, as only one display can be active at once.

That said, I've had the same problem with TV out on a desktop machine
with a GeForce 3 card before, but it was intermittent and not reproducible. As
usual with Gatesware, a reboot did the trick. Grr.

Ant