I'd like to do something which I think is conceptually
straightforward but I've never quite put all the bits together, or
found anyone that has.

I'd like to duplicate a Debian install. Once I have all my favorite
packages and apt sources etc I'd like to be able to make a boot CD that
will install a Debian system with those packages. The CD could either
have the .debs or pull them off the network, doesn't matter. I assume at
that point it's easy either way.

Bonus points for detecting which /etc/ files have been changed and
storing a copy of those as well on the CD but that's really a
nice-to-have. Oh, and the (potentially custom) kernel, System.map, and
/lib/modules would be great.

Things I'd really like: not to have to answer a whole boatload of
questions about my environment during install, or have to do an update
&& upgrade after each time and futz with all the problems that usually
throws up. The system can assume the hardware is pretty similar, and
that the admin will clear up any other mess afterwards. Oh, and have
lilo f*cking *work*.

Does anyone know how to do this? Am I being naive in thinking this
should be quite easy, with the jigsaw pieces in place?

Paul

PS I know about debian-users I just find them a bit scary sometimes,
   probably for no good reason. Besides the thread variety here is cool.

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If a toothbrush didn't have bristles, then the crabs will scuttle way
 clinking their claws."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/