On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:18:41PM +0000, Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> Anyone using Linux on anything with lots of CPU's? Attempt to do
> searches for 'linux smp' on google tends to get me documents last
> updated in 1997.

IIRC, Linus is quite specific in his intention that linux serve the
lower-end "market" where making linux efficient on 2 processors is the
goal. More procs is theoretically interesting but practically does not
have a significant userbase. Linux is not aiming at competition with
supercomputers.

It's been a while since I read kernel traffic but I think the scheduler
is undergoing some work to help with more CPUs anyway though. I'd concur
with Steve on NUMA development.

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is the thing I'm thinking about now? There is no spoon."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/