On Saturday 01 Mar 2003 8:25 pm, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > [herding cats]
>
> (I'd like to see a moritorium on using this phrase. It was kind of funny
> the first hundred or so times, now it just seems to be rather
> unimaginative and cliche'd - not a trait I usually associate with
> programmers. TIMTOWTexpressI surely!)

Oops. Sorry.  But TIMTOWDI is such a phrase too, surely?

> Inexperience in: organising teams, management of projects, motivation,
> etc. Now those are typical programmer traits :)

yep.

> When
> work comes up the particular required skill is being able to form
> appropriate teams in a short space of time, manage clients and back-end
> work, and of course actually deliver.

How have you been finding this?

> I get the impression more and more coders are seeing the need for
> developing their soft skills.

Absolutely.  Which is why I'm looking for examples (and counter examples) of
prior art which I can try and learn from or emulate.

> In other news, a tentative project is underway to rent out space in
> central london for a digital community of some sort - shared resources,
> paid admin, PAs, etc. More news on that as it breaks but anyone
> interested who feel they can contribute (not code/tech skills; got
> those) by all means contact me offline.

Potentially I'm interested, if only as another contact/collaborator.

On Sunday 02 Mar 2003 2:01 pm, Marty Pauley wrote:
> Why not set up a company to do it?  Some agents insist on working with
> a limted company.  If you want your own agent, he could be an employee.
> The legal status of a limited company is clear.

I have one.  I share directorship with a friend, and we're sort of scraping
by. But it's a small company - just a vehicle for contracting/payment, really
- there are only two of us, and we're relatively new at the game.  There are
lots of lessons to be learnt.  The problem is our small scale, lack of
business experience, and sometimes, motivating ourselves in the face of all
the shit that comes along.

I also have other friends who have companies and do work for them
occasionally.  The main reason I'm asking this question about cooperatives is
because working on one's own can be damn hard, and the lesson seems to be to
seek out like-minded company, for inspiration and moral support if nothing
else.  I'm looking for successful examples to follow, and potential allies.

Taking on employees though - especially agents - is probably not the route I'd
take since we have no reliable income.  I was thinking more of a shared agent
with whom one has some kind of a relationship and who has a motivation to
help me, rather than seeing me as just another CV to edit.  Probably I should
be schmoozing with them more than I do.

On Saturday 01 Mar 2003 9:15 pm, Patrick Carmichael wrote:
> It is worth having a look at the goings-on at Free Developers
> (http://freedevelopers.net/).

Thanks, I've added it to my 'to read' bookmarks and I'll need a bit longer to
digest that.

Nick