* Luis Campos de Carvalho ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> [...]

well, my evidence is anecdotal admitedly and i don't know why people
chose python (i will of course speculate) , however in the space of
two weeks i saw,

        a) a new napster-a-like app, but aimed at downloading big files
           using `swarm' technology, called BitTorrent, it is the sort
           of thing that would be great for downloading debian ISO's,
           lord of the rings trailors and for other more questionable
           downloads. (google for bittorent for more info)

           - this is written in Python and its the sort of thing i would
           have traditionally expected to see in C or C++, i don't think i
           would have expected to see it in Perl as <5.8 experimentation
           led me to believe that complex server type stuff wasnt always
           ideal in Perl due to problems with signals (feel free to tell
           me i'm wrong)

        b) a project in $large_media_organisation , written in Python and
           XUL that could have easily been written in Perl, but because it was
           Python the guy was left to get on with it and delivered a great
           piece of software - now python is being well regarded in that
           department as it has a 100% success rate

           - in this case i think its a lack of history of seeing junior
           python programmmers bite off more than they can chew, so to speak
           that means python is being regarded well

in both of these case the python projects benefited due to a lack of
`sins of the fathers' as opposed to specific bits of technology as
compared with current Perl implementations/modules.

Greg

--
***   Email address has changed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Please   ***