>   And here comes a good question: What are the goodies inside Python that
> keeps folks "coming out with cool new projects written in Python not Perl"?
> Are any of this goodies being introduced into Apocalipse (6|7)?
>
>   Just wondering WTHFDLP[1]...
>
>   Luis
>
> [1]: "Why The Hell Folks Don't Like Perl"

Because perl is not simple enough to learn enough to be allow people to
get fluent enough, quickly enough, to do what they wannado.

Python obeys the 80% rule, it is 80% as good as perl but it only takes
20% of the time to learn (for the pedants: this is a generalisation to
illustrate the problem and doesn't represent hard and fast numbers).

Python is basically a very simple language that does most of what you
want in a regular, "obvious" (depending on your definition of that word)
way. Perl is expressive, it has much semantic subtlety, it does DWIM
(but only after you have learned enough to write your code down in a way
that perl can understand clearly WYM). I have grown to like it.

There are too many side effects (eg $_) and contexts (eg array or
scaler) in perl that are wonderful for experienced perl people but
bloody annoying (or just downright annoying) to newbies. As a result
they get hacked off and try something else. Ruby is another up and
coming haven for pissed off putative perl programmers. That even *looks*
rather like perl!

Most programmers prefer a language to DWIS not DWIM. At least if it
doesn't work then you only have to refine what you say, I am assuming
you already know what you mean.

Personally, I think perl 6 is going backwards in 'subtlety' respect. It
may be making some syntax clearer, but also introducing even more
'hidden context' (if I read the, frankly, opaque 'apocalypses'
correctly)[or at least the few pages before I give up reading, trying to
understand].

I have to say: I ain't looking forward to the learning curve.

Dirk
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to