On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 08:11, Simon Wistow wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:00:03PM +0000, Simon Wilcox said:
> > What would it's *purpose*  be ?
>
> What Aaron/Teejay was talking about (for yay, it was he), I think, was
> something I bought up a while back viz that installing applications in
> Perl, especially Web applications, usually involves jumping through
> hoops with ExtUtils::MakeMaker and/or writing your own install script.

Interesting. This really doesn't agree with either Teejay's use.per
weblog [1] where he said "how about a nice site about cool or new perl
projects, kind of like freshmeat but without all the python and php
crud" or Greg's idea of a Test::More branding plan.

> One of the problems we had way back in the day with Acmemail was that
> installing it was an arse for several reasons, namely that it required
> lots of modules (one of which, Mail::Cclient, was fairly tricky to get
> working) and that installing the templates, config files and index.cgi
> were pretty tricky. Or, at least, involved.
>
> Rightly or wrongly, I suspect the reason why people like the php* family
> if web apps are popular is because all you have to do is untar the
> distributions, chmod a+rx and away you go.

Agreed. Does php have the same central-local installation pattern that
perl does ? I suspect that all php code is installed locally to the
user/website that's using it, whereas perl has a root-only central
installation location for most modules. Yes, I know you can install
locally but it's not the default and not very well understood.

> An application repository would be good for several reasons:
>
> o Single place to go look for Perl Apps

Possibly the most important in my opinion.

> o Tighter integration with CPAN/search.cpan/RT

Useful but not hugely necessary

> o More likely (probably) that a new backend for CPANPLUS
>   could be written that would allow you to just type
>
>       % perl -MCPANPLUS -e'installapp perlMyAdmin'
>
>   And it would work out what distribution you're using and install
>   things in there.

Indeed but if you look at something like OpenInteract, it has a
completely different installation/configuration to something like RT.
I'm not sure how you would standardise that.

S.

[1] http://use.perl.org/~TeeJay/journal/10982