> I was talking to Schwern earlier this week, he told me there
> are plans to add this kind of facility to cpanplus, i.e. build and
> install .debs, .rpms, etc.

That might be the wrong place to put it.  If it's there, it's only going
to work for stuff that's installed through CPANPLUS, right?

The BSDPAN stuff hooks in to ExtUtils::*, so works even if you just do

    perl Makefile.PL
    make install

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
                                                    -- The 75 column-ometer
Global Messaging,                 A: Top posting
120 Cheapside, x83331             Q: What's the most annoying e-mail habit?