On 1 Apr 2003 at 16:53, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> It may not be clear that the "she" in question is also the head of state
> of a lot of places (Australia, Canada, Grenada, the UK to name but a few).

Ah! Brenda.

(Is she still called that? My father sometimes uses the name, but he
came to Germany over 30 years ago and his "current slang" is usually
rather dated.)

> I think that I read that she's technically the Duke, but I may be
> misremembering.

I think you're right. ISTR reading things in Jčrriais(?) talking about
"not' duc" (our duke) visiting.

> Certainly the thrust was that she's head of state because
> she is the current holder of that title, completely independent of the UK
> crown.

I didn't know that, though.

Cheers,
Philip