On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:16:58PM +0100, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> We currenlty have the following coins:
>
> 1p    round copper
> 2p    round copper

but for the past few years actually made from steel coated to give the
same colour as the old alloy, because the old alloy was becoming too
expensive

> 5p    round silver
> 10p   round silver
> 20p   hexagonal silver
> 50p   hexagonal silver

Both are heptagonal - they have 7 sides. This can surprise foreigners

> 1 pound       round brass
> 2 pound       round silver and brass

Has the inscription "Standing on the shoulders of giants" around the edge.
Anyone tempted to avoid code re-use ("Not Invented Here" should obtain
a £2 coin and read it)

There are £5 coins minted for special occasions, which I believe are as legal
tender as anything else.

Nicholas Clark