Tim Sweetman wrote:

Alex Hudson wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:36:28AM +0100, Alex McLintock wrote:

You might really say that this is a problem of Open Source as a whole.
Its marketing really sucks.

Double plus for Free Software.

Similarly and earlier, Leon Brocard wrote:

[Perl PR] needs people to just do it. The right place
for this discussion is the perl advocacy mailing list ...

I find Mark Dominus's points - http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html - very persuasive (summary: advocacy can easily decend into a tribal "Perl rocks, $WHATEVER sucks", which is neither persusasive, nor good for a language such as Perl, which improves by borrowing solutions from other languages).

"Sell the benefit - not the technology".

Does that apply to _anything_?

<snip/>

According to the book I've read about marketing[0], customers make purchasing decisions based on perceived benefits (rational or otherwise) as opposed to features.

<example>
If you used Perl you could use the Foo module from CPAN (feature). Your script would take 5 minutes to write (benefit) and you could take the rest of the day off (benefit).
</example>

From what I understand of the other book I've read about marketing[1] the Interweb has broken a lot of the 'broadcast' marketing model (but probably not the benefit selling bit).

The perl community were/are probably pioneers in the gonzo approach to marketing. IMHO as most Perl advocacy takes place online, anything much more formal wouldn't produce many, er, benefits.

$0.02

[0] http://tinyurl.com/kent
[1] http://tinyurl.com/keoa

--
Paul Sharpe                      Tel: 619 523 0100 Fax: 619 523 0101
Russell Sharpe, Inc              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]