On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:53:42AM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:
> Merijn wrote:
> > I was very impressed one day when I learned that kids on Holland
> > nowadays learn about the land of Oct in primary school, age 9-10.
>
> <aol>Me too!</aol>
>
> I was telling my wife about this just the other day.  I was in the
> last year of junior school so also must have been about 9.  Our
> teacher took us off on an imaginary rocket ship journey to a planet
> where the aliens only had 8 fingers.

All I got to do last year of primary school was sit in a corner with a
copies of Martin Gardner's (More) Mathmatical Puzzles and Diversions.
I'm feeling fantasy-deprived :-)

The teacher had a story about the leprechauns that could count up to
1023 on their fingers, so I might have known what binary was too (though
I don't remember binary being mentioned).
--
Chris Benson